With so much negativity and uncertainty in the world, it is difficult to stay positive all of the time.
I don't know about you, but I have felt decision fatigue since before Christmas with so many decisions to be made...do we stay or do we go? Should they stay or should they come? It was non-stop. I started to get over it a month ago when things seemed to be improving (minus the situation in Ukraine that will keep all of us worried and concerned for humanity) and then this week happened. We had a special event planned for Friday and something happened and we had to decide do we move forward or not. The decision fatigue started to creep back in. We once again had a big decision to make and another event cancelled. Gifts are packed, presentation is ready, clothes are ironed.
What can we do in a world of uncertainty to stay positive? We have to go with the ebbs and flows of life. The mask mandate is being lifted but yet people we love are still contracting the virus. There are many things we can't control but here are some things that we do have control over:
1. Self-Care - Take care of you. If you aren't, it is time for a re-set. Set your alarm for 30 minutes earlier tomorrow morning and do some stretching, meditation, go for a walk or a short HIIT workout. It will do wonders for your well-being all day.
2. Gratitude - With so much worry and anxiety that creeps into our thoughts, a good way to combat that worry is to lean into gratitude for the people we have in our lives and the environment we live in.
3. Think of the positive - Try to focus on the positive. When having negative thoughts, take a deep breath and change your thoughts to the positive side. Do a power stance, breathe and smile. You will be amazed at how quickly you can change the trajectory of your day.
4. The Power of Kindness - With the mask mandate being lifted there are many mixed emotions. Remember that it isn't a one-size-fits-all formula. Everyone has their own story and we all need to respect each other's views.
5. Recognize if you are feeling stuck - If you are feeling stuck the best way to get unstuck is self-assess where you are and make change happen. If it is in your workplace, find ways to get motivated and put a plan in action to make it happen. The power is within you to make change happen. I always get a charge out of learning and growing. Look for ways that you can grow in your profession and implement a change in your practice. We have lots of great courses and programs to help you grow as a dental hygienist. Become a Myofunctional Therapist, Expand your Skill to Orthodontics, get Laser Certified, become more knowledgeable with the Oral-Systemic connection, just to name a few! Look for ways to get engaged in a topic and watch the magic unfold.
Thank you for reading and have a great week ahead. Please take a look below for what is coming up! Check out the new Career Opportunity Section toward the bottom!